Garrett's brother, Mike, left yesterday for Colorado where he will be a Freshman at Colorado University. It's such an exciting time for him and it got me thinking about how 16 years ago I was heading off to Chico. Here are some of the memories that came to mind last night:
*I loved getting letters from my friends and family. I did not have e-mail or even know much about the Internet or computers at the time so I actually went off to school with all kinds of cards and pretty paper so I could write letters. And then would get nice surprises, like the envelope in the picture above, that were so colorful and made me smile! (Yes, I've kept all the letters and read them every so often)
*The first day we moved into the dorm, I was 17 and I had no idea who my roommate would be. She turned out to be a friend of a friend from Santa Rosa and I was so happy to have someone that I sorta knew.
* I was in the "academic/transfer" dorm which was supposedly a more studious dorm. Really you could just call it the "nerd" dorm.
*I gained my freshman 15 by eating french toast sticks, omelets, and drinking whole milk during my first semester. When I came back from Christmas break and I started running on the track and eating salads.
*I joined InterVarsity Christian Fellowship and we had weekly bible studies in our dorm room and every Friday night was Large group with all of the bible study groups from around campus.
* I don't think I ever went to a "real" party. Never once got drunk. But I still had fun doing other things.
* My friend, Steve, and I along with another guy that I don't remember, took a road trip to Oregon one evening, just for fun. We drove up just past the border, had some Little Ceasar's Pizza, and then turned around and came back.
* I stayed up later that I was used to and fell asleep in several of my classes. My mom took me to the doctor thinking I was anemic. The doc said I probably just needed more sleep!
* I had visits from friends from Santa Rosa every once in a while. One time some friends drove up and about an hour after they left they were back after rolling his Miata, swerving out of the way for a raccoon. I can't remember how they got back home....I think his mom had to drive up.
* I played Ultimate Frisbee on Saturday mornings. One of the few girls out there, I probably just did it to meet the boys (like Garrett).
That's all I can think of for now. I remember having a lot of fun and I know Mike will too, probably more than I did! What are your favorite college memories?